Originally built in 1950, T. C. Cherry Elementary School was nearing the end of its lifespan. The Bowling Green Independent Schools sought to replace the existing elementary school with a new, state-of-the-art facility that would be better equipped to meet the needs of modern teachers and students.
The new school features two classroom wings, one for primary students and one for intermediate students, each specifically designed for the ages it serves. Each wing also features a common space for individual or small group instruction.
The building features controllable, natural daylight in interior spaces all throughout the building by utilizing the largest volume use of solar tube devices of any school in the state. Daylight sensors automatically adjust artificial lighting based on the amount of available natural light. The sun’s energy is also harnessed to heat the majority of the building’s hot water.
The building is designed with many energy saving features. The school’s exterior walls are constructed of insulated concrete forms (ICF), which provide superior insulation and minimize the burden on the highly efficient Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) climate control system. In the lobby, a Vital Signs graphic monitor displays the building’s water, electricity and natural gas consumption, illustrating the energy savings realized by the energy efficient design.